Corby's Orbit

Corby's Orbit
Listening in All the High Places illustration by John Kricfalusi

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Remembrance



I was proud to be in a public school gym with eight guitarists, two pianists, three good singers, and a locked-in bass and drums section today, as we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashin' (Byrds version) for a silent and listening Remembrance Day audience.

We had compulsory cadets in Chatham Ontario when I was in grade 10. ALL the boys. We went to target practice once a week at the Armory. The good shots were given rifles and the rest of us got bren guns and sten guns, which we had to assemble and disassemble on command. We had drill practice summer and winter.

I spoke to the kids before we played today. I said "You're lucky; you have dragons and super villains to be afraid of. I think that's great. When I was a boy, I was afraid of waking up and seeing all my neighbours' houses on fire."

One to remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment