Corby's Orbit

Corby's Orbit
Listening in All the High Places illustration by John Kricfalusi

Saturday, December 26, 2015

The Loved And Lost 2015 - Part Two





Tut Taylor    "During my career I've picked with a lot of folks, to name a few.... Norman Blake, John Hartford, Sam Bush, Curtis Burch, Butch Robins, Tom McKinney, Rual Yarbrough, Randy Wood, Jim Johnson, The Bluegrass Five, The Season Travelers, Leon Russel, The Aereo-plane Band, Vassar Clements, Porter Wagoner, Ron and Don Norman, Hughie Wylie, J.N. and Onie Baxter and many others over the years.   I played mandolin with Roy Acuff and the Smoky Mtn. Boys on the last night of the Grand Ole Opry at the Ryman Auditorium. I almost forgot to mention Roy Clark, Grandpa Jones, Charlie Collins, Scott Stoneman, Glen Campbell, Clarence and Roland White, Bill Monroe, Bennie Martin and Don Reno. If I do not mention any of my other friends please forgive me. Pickin has been a great part of my life, not financially rewarding but a lot of fun."

Luigi Creatore, a songwriter and record producer who teamed with his cousin Hugo Peretti to create hits for Little Peggy March,  producing the No. 1 single “I Will Follow Him", Sam Cooke, who had success with Creatore-Peretti productions like “Chain Gang,” “Twistin’ the Night Away and “Wonderful World”, a number of hits on Roulette for the singer Jimmie Rodgers, including “Honeycomb,” which reached No. 1 in 1957, two songs that were hits for Elvis Presley in 1961: “Wild in the Country,” from the movie of the same name, and “Can’t Help Falling in Love,” from the movie “Blue Hawaii,” and The Lion Sleeps Tonight,” an adaptation of the Zulu song “Wimoweh” that was a No. 1 hit for the Tokens. 



Ronnie Gilbert

"We still had the feeling that if we could sing loud enough and strong enough and hopefully enough, it would make a difference."









Chris Squire "We have now lost, who, for me, are the two greatest bass players classic rock has ever known. John Entwistle and now Chris. There can hardly be a bass player worth his salt who hasn’t been influenced by one or both of these great players. Chris took the art of making a bass guitar into a lead instrument to another stratosphere and coupled with his showmanship and concern for every single note he played, made him something special." ~ Rick Wakeman




Buddy Buie                                                       J.R. Cobb, Rodney Justo, Robert Nix, Richie Supa, Mylon LeFevre, Joe South, Buddy Buie, Philip 'Flip' Seldes, Barry Bailey, Jon Hipps, William Dean Daughtry and Howard 'Sleepy' Emerson


"Life on the street is a jungle
A struggle to keep up the pace
I just can't beat that old dog eat dog
The rats keep winnin' the rat race
tonight
I'm not gonna let it bother me tonight   /  The world is in an uproar and I see no end in sight   /    But I won't let it bother me tonight  /  I'm not gonna let it bother me tonight  / Tomorrow I might go as far as suicide   /    But I won't let it bother me tonight" ~ Atlanta Rhythm Section                    

Theodore Bikel 

"I prefer to make common cause with those whose weapons are guitars, banjos, fiddles and words.Theodore Bikel



No comments:

Post a Comment