Commissioner of Selection: Paul Corby
Click on photos to enlarge.
5:00 Nocturnal Memos
* Justin Paladino Band ~ Honey ~ Live NEW RELEASE
Elvin Bishop & Charlie Musselwhite ~ West Helena Blue ~ 100 Years Of Blues (Alligator) NEW RELEASE
* Layla Zoe ~ Pray ~ Nowhere Left To Go NEW RELEASE
* The Smoke Wagon Blues Band ~ Mescaline ~ The Ballad Of Albert Johnson
* Samantha Martin & Delta Sugar ~ Meet Me In The Morning ~ The Reckless One NEW RELEASE
Sugar Pie DeSanto ~ Going Back here I Belong ~ Down In The Basement (Chess 1959)
Danny Gatton & The Fat Boys ~ After Hours ~ American Music (1975)
Commissioned & The Clark Sister ~ Lift Up Your Head All Ye Gates ~ Handel`s Messiah: A Soulful Celebration (Reprise 1992)
* Cootes Paradise ~ Until The Rain Stops ~ Downstream NEW RELEASE
paintings by Kim Dorland
5:45 Electroblue Scoot
* Griffith Hiltz Trio ~ Roberta`s Quest ~ Arcade NEW RELEASE
Warsaw Village Band ~ Skip Funk ~ Infinity (2010)
* Alex Bird ~ Baby I`ll Have You ~ Whisky Kisses NEW RELEASE
* Big Little Lions ~ Turn It Off ~ Singles 2020 NEW RELEASE
* Shaye Zadravec ~ Biloxi ~ Now And Then NEW RELEASE
* Pharis & Jason Romero ~ Old Chatelaine ~ Bet On Love NEW RELEASE
* Colleen Brown ~ Isolation Stimulation listen here .. Isolation Songs NEW RELEASE
6:15 Curated Cures
* Jesse Ryan feat. Joanna Majoko ~ The Way ~ Bridges NEW RELEASE
Jeri Brown ~ Billy Preston`s Will It Go Round In Circles ~ New Wonderland
* Laura Smith ~ It`s A Personal Thing ~ As Long As I`m Dreaming NEW RELEASE
* Joe Nolan ~ How I Used To Be ~ Drifters
* Andy Shauf ~ 13 Years ~ The Neon Skyline
* Sarah MacDougall ~ Out Of This Blue ~ Home For The Holidays 2 (Arts & Crafts) NEW RELEASE
The Yardbirds ~ A Certain Girl / The Who ~ Cut My Hair / Booker T. & Yim Yames ~ Progress ~ Mojo`s Road To Quadrophenia
6:45 Heavy Beauty
Reading : Jack Gilbert`s A Brief For The Defense from ``Refusing Heaven``*
Aswad ~ Day By Day ~ Rise And Shine - Again!
Baaba Maal feat. Ernie Ranglin ~ Koni ~ Live At The Royal Festival Hall
* A Brief For The Defense
Sorrow everywhere. Slaughter everywhere. If babies
are not starving someplace, they are starving
somewhere else. With flies in their nostrils.
But we enjoy our lives because that's what God wants.
Otherwise the mornings before summer dawn would not
be made so fine. The Bengal tiger would not
be fashioned so miraculously well.
The poor women
at the fountain are laughing together between
the suffering they have known and the awfulness
in their future, smiling and laughing while somebody
in the village is very sick. There is laughter
every day in the terrible streets of Calcutta,
and the women laugh in the cages of Bombay.
If we deny our happiness, resist our satisfaction,
we lessen the importance of their deprivation.
We must risk delight. We can do without pleasure,
but not delight. Not enjoyment. We must have
the stubbornness to accept our gladness in the ruthless
furnace of this world. To make injustice the only
measure of our attention is to praise the Devil.
If the locomotive of the Lord runs us down,
we should give thanks that the end had magnitude.
We must admit there will be music despite everything.
We stand at the prow again of a small ship
anchored late at night in the tiny port
looking over to the sleeping island: the waterfront
is three shuttered cafés and one naked light burning.
To hear the faint sound of oars in the silence as a rowboat
comes slowly out and then goes back is truly worth
all the years of sorrow that are to come.